In 2019, the National Association of Teachers of Singing will celebrate the art of singing through a series of competitions and programs that are designed to showcase the talented singers and performers who are soon to be rising stars in the profession.
- The National Student Auditions (NSA) are held annually, beginning with chapter level auditions between November and February (depending on the chapter), then the online regional level audition, video submissions for which are due March 1. The top five singers in each regional category can progress to the national online round and then to the final live round. The 2019 national level audition application deadline is April 22, 2019, with semi-finals and finals scheduled for June 27-28, 2019 at St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN, in conjunction with the National NATS 2019 Summer Workshop.
- In order to qualify for the regional competition, singers must study with a NATS teacher and compete at the chapter level with 3 - 5 songs depending on their category. The top three winners of each category advance from the chapter to the regional round. Ages range from 9th grade to 30 years old, in music theater and classical categories. Adult Avocational singers may also compete with the regional level being the final round.
- The NATS Artist Awards (NATSAA) is held biannually in the autumn, with a live regional rounds where one regional winner progresses to the national live rounds. Singers compete with 14 art songs and arias. Ages range from 21 - 35 years old, and only classical repertoire. The 2019 NW regional round will take place at the NW Regional Conference, November 1-3, 2019, in Vancouver, BC. Application deadline is September 9, 2019. The national competition takes place January 10-12, 2020 in NYC. For more information and the application, visit https://www.nats.org/competitions.html
- The Hal Johnson Spiritual Competition is held on the regional level and national level in even numbered years.
- The National Music Theater Competition (NMTC) is held annually on a national level. Qualifying NW singers are encouraged to audition in the NMTC video round.